Saturday, October 1, 2016

Verdant Solitude




Verdant Solitude
Oil on Canvas
98cm x 75cm

The concept of this piece was atmosphere. I wanted to create a sense of tranquility by restricting the colour range and harmonizing the subject with the background.
When I am painting I’m always fascinated with the effect of adding a little green to flesh tone. It really adds a sense of realism and life.
I particularly like the brushwork in the background on this piece. I used combs, rollers, pallet knifes and rulers as well as brushes to create interesting textures and tones.
The models name is Lara and the painting was made from sketches and reference in the studio. As the painting progressed I began to feel like she was gazing into a pool of water in some kind of enchanted garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment